We are a group of seasoned specialists. Former in-house heads of corporate and internal communications. Former marketing directors and media relations chiefs. We are experts in communicating change, and we are comfortable in a crisis. We’ve worked at big corporates and international consultancies across many major brands. We are thinkers, strategists, and planners; we are wordsmiths, analysts, mentors and more…
As founder of My Word Communications Ltd I am passionate about supporting businesses and leaders to manage reputation. In a world where ‘how’ you operate is increasingly as important as ‘what’ you do I am keen to share my experiences and wisdom to help organisations to earn trust and respect. I have been part of the
communications function within TOP 20 FTSE companies – including Diageo plc – and a communications specialist
in some of the world’s leading consultancies. As manager of my own business I really do practice what I preach.
- Slogan for life: If you can dream it you can do it
- Best piece of advice: You own your relationships with your colleagues and superiors – what people think of you is up to you
- Biggest bugbear: Being sent an ‘invite’ instead of an ‘invitation’ (I probably won’t be invited to anything now)
- Superpower: Mum, wife, sister, daughter, colleague… 24 hours a day (and not needing much sleep)
- Book that inspired me: Emma by Jane Austen – the master communicator
In 2017 I joined the family firm to work with my wife, Charlotte. I’m proud to be part of such a refreshing and inspiring business. For me, joining My Word follows nine years leading GB communications at Coca-Cola Enterprises (now CCEP), and four years heading up media relations at Ofcom. Before that I managed communications in-house at media, telecoms and professional service firms. Throughout my career I’ve seen first hand the difference it makes to get your communications right… and I’m passionate about helping My Word’s clients achieve that.
- Slogan for life: ‘You’ll never walk alone!’
- Best piece of advice: Trust your instinct.
- Biggest bugbear: You are what you eat… Ouch.
- Superpower: Flying – surely?
- Book that inspired me: Tolkien’s ‘Lord of the Rings’ – good against evil on a grand stage!
As a PR specialist at My Word Communications, my role is to create and tell stories that are exciting and credible enough to earn a place in the media. Over the course of 10 years spent both agency and client side, food, drink and retail PR have been my focus. I have created award-winning campaigns for Sainsbury’s and worked across major international brands including Procter & Gamble, Cadbury Trebor Bassett, Budweiser, Gallo Wines and B&Q. What do I love most about my job? The joy and satisfaction I gain by doing something that is totally different everyday.
- Slogan for life: Your words are your greatest tools
- Best piece of advice: Don’t mistake activity for work or We all have the same number of hours in a day as Beyoncé
- Biggest bugbear: Incorrect use of ‘apostrophe s’, a phenomenon that seems to occur everywhere, including on massive advertising billboards
- Superpower: Ability to get on with people of all levels
- Book that inspired me: All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
With over 20 years as a Marketing Communications professional I am passionate about delivering compelling and engaging communications. Having worked both client and agency side across a diverse range of industries; FMCG, Finance, Telecommunications and Construction, I have a wide base of experience across B2B and B2C markets. My work has ranged from delivering complex data solutions to market, writing winning bid tender documents and refining business positioning for new brand launches. In essence devising propositions, through a good understanding of the target and delivering a compelling communications mix to produce exceptional results. My experience spans all internal and external communications. I now work as a consultant bringing my ability to deliver exceptional engaging content across a wide variety of projects.
- Slogan for life: You reap what you sow
- Best piece of advice: Don’t procrastinate, do it, if it doesn’t work out as you wanted, make the best of what you can get
- Biggest bugbear: Moaning – there will always be problems, focus on the solutions
- Superpower: There is always an angle, whatever the situation there is always an idea to combat
- Book that inspired me: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. My first real in-depth literature experience, where I fell in love with the power of writing, words, mixing metaphors and hidden meanings.
A change communications and engagement specialist with over 19 years experience, operating at a director level in global organisations including PwC, Diageo, Honda, Coca-Cola and CLS Bank. During this time, I have set up and managed communications teams, advised and supported senior leaders, led complex change communications, developed and delivered crisis communications and worked with many types of businesses and supporting functions. I am passionate about working for organisations which make a positive difference to people’s lives. I have the drive and ability to deliver results and meet communications goals for the organisations I work with, combining fresh ideas and creativity with sound judgment and a commitment to getting things done.
- Slogan for life: Do something each day to bring you a little closer to your dreams
- Best piece of advice: Accept what you can’t change. Change what you can’t accept
- Biggest bugbear: Meetings without an agenda
- Superpower: Prioritising between conflicting requests, showing initiative and diplomacy as well as acute communication flair…. Dedication to the cause!
- Book that inspired me: Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela